The dreaded buffering. It’s one of the most frustrating things about streaming. We’ve all experienced it, usually at the worst possible time. You’re pulling up your favorite show, or that movie everyone is raving about, and all of a sudden….the buffering starts.
The first thing to know about buffering is that most of the time it has nothing to do with the box itself. It can be caused by the stream, your connection, or the link to the stream.
There are some things that you can do to limit the amount of buffering you encounter, and things that can stop it once it has happened.
- Try Multiple streams – As we mentioned before, buffering can sometimes be caused by the stream itself. To eliminate this as the cause of the buffering, try a couple of different streams. We all want the 1080 HD stream, but sometimes it can help if you choose a lower quality version of the stream. This can eliminate buffering, especially with a slower Internet speed.
- Reset your Modem and Router – This is a standard maintenance procedure that can boost your Internet speed for all of your devices. It should be performed once a week to ensure you’re getting the best connnection. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Unplug the electrical source from your Modem and Router.
- Make sure there are no lights illuminated on either device. If there are, you may have to remove a battery on your device.
- Wait 5 minutes for your devices to cool down.
- Plug in the modem first and wait 30 seconds.
- Plug in the router next and wait 30 seconds.
- Open a window on one of your devices to make sure you’re connected.
- Reboot your Element box and Enjoy!
- Network Powerline Adapters – These devices can bring hard-wired speed to your device, even if it’s in a WiFi dead zone. Powerline adapters use the power outlets in your home to transfer Ethernet signals from your router to your Element box. We’ve seen huge improvements in customer Internet speed using these. The better speed and connection lead to less buffering when streaming.
- Increase your Internet Speed – This can go a long way in decreasing the amount of buffering you encounter. We recommend at least 10 mbps speed for streaming in the best quality. However, it can’t hurt to have more than that. Many things can affect your Internet speed especially if you’re using a WiFi connection. Check with your provider to make sure you are getting the speed for which you are paying. Many times providers are not honest about the actual speed provided. Check out our tips for improving your WiFi connection.
- Use additional services – Services like Real Debrid have become very popular among Kodi users for good reason. They provide reliable, quality streams that buffer much less than regular streams. The Real Debrid service is extremely cheap. It costs about $3 per month if you purchase six months at a time.
These tips can help decrease buffering on your Element box. If you have any tips that you use we would love to hear them.
Of course if you are still having issues we recommend you contact us at 1-877-207-9957. We’re happy to help! Happy Streaming!